The incumbent will be a key regional resource responsible for Employee Relations, as well as HR Policies & Governance areas coordinating closely with Asia countries and Global counterparts. Individual will be responsible for providing oversight and direction on country ER Investigations and programs, conducting high level investigations as needed within the region. Incumbent will provide core training to country teams on Investigation methodology and documentation to drive consistency and minimize risk.
The incumbent will review key HR policies of Asia entities and provide practical advice to comply with MetLife standards and local laws, assess HR Risks within Compliance and HR governance framework to fulfill internal audit requirements, provide HR support for business expansion and M&A projects, support review in key HR operations which may cause significant impact to ensure consistent applications throughout Asia, and foster a culture of respect and speaking up, as well as an HR Compliance culture across all HR teams on high-level MetLife standards.
- Identify, develop, implement and communicate ER program and investigation methodology and best practice solutions
- Manage, consult and provide solutions on complex employee relations issues e.g. involuntary exits (including redundancies), high risk leaves of absence, disciplinary, grievances, harassment, litigation case management, restructures/ re-organizations etc.. Recommend additional escalation/intervention on all ER-related issues as appropriate
- Receive, manage, and resolve ER inquiries, issues, and investigations, through directing employees and managers towards the right channel, interpreting policies and programs, and conducting investigations in collaboration with the HR Business Partner and/or ER counterparts in countries. Conduct interviews with associates (including senior leaders) as part of ER investigations when required
- Identify, locate and provide needed ER training and resources to local country HRBP/ER counterparts.
- Promote positive Employee Relations throughout the organization by ensuring the development and implementation of consistent and equitable policies, programs, and practices.
HR Policies & Governance
- Coordinate HR policies: Coordinate the update, review, approval and communication process for HR policies including but not limited to Employee Handbook. Serve as a custodian of key HR policies
- Review standard and non-standard employment agreements: Review standard employment contracts to ensure compliance with MetLifes standard terms & conditions. Customize contracts as per special offers while ensuring MetLifes corporate interests are protected. Keep abreast of local trends of employment practices and change of laws. Serve as a custodian of employment-related contract templates
- Support business projects: Assist in developing HR policies, providing documentation support, and reviewing and assessing employment-related issues in M&A Due Diligence projects
- Provide support to Asia HR teams to ensure smooth implementation of new HR initiatives: Review, develop, and implement HR policies across Asia, and support in operational review of country implementation. Assess feasibility of implementing new HR initiatives across Asia
- Coordinate HR Business Continuity Planning (BCP): Coordinate necessary procedures for HR services continuity in the event of exigencies (e.g. fire, catastrophes, epidemics) and review BCP regularly
- Participate as an active member of the Global HR Policy Governance Committee as the Asia representative. Communicate outcomes with country HRBP and ER counterparts, as applicable.
- Assess HR Risks associated with HR policies and ER practices from Legal and HR Compliance perspective: Conduct internal HR audit if needed to ensure that related risks are regularly assessed and adequate HR Internal Controls are in place to mitigate such Risks. Advise on corrective actions and engage in necessary review and monitoring
- Partner with LOB Managers to foster HR Compliance and work closely with Compliance and Legal to ensure MetLifes high-level Code of Conduct and relating US corporate governance are upheld. Propose effective HR Internal Controls to ensure adherence to relevant governance
- Provide practical employment advice on various people-related issues: Research extensively in key HR areas and advise Regional HR on prevalent HR practices of countries, including employment matters, staff issues, data privacy, equal opportunities, disciplinary measures, and labor dispute resolutions
- Ensure company compliance with applicable laws, government regulations, and company policies, programs and practices
- Lead and handle cases involving government bodies and regulators (e.g. the Labor Department, Labor Tribunal and Equal Opportunity Commissions etc.)
- Reports to: AVP, Employee Relations (Global); dotted line to Regional HR
- Direct reports/team: Nil
- Key Stakeholders: Country HR and ER teams, Regional HR, Legal, Compliance and Risk
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 15+ years of practical experience in managing ER, employment contracts, HR policies, designing HR compliance and risk framework, as well as HR internal controls
- Extensive knowledge in Asia HR-related laws, especially well versed in employment laws, data privacy laws, and equal opportunities laws
- Sufficient knowledge in legal language, and capable of understanding and precisely interpreting HR related laws for management decision
- Undergraduate degree required. Relevant labor law qualifications desirable
- Thinks Strategically Sets direction aligned to the companys strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Motivates People Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the companys vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Seizes Opportunity Seeks new opportunities and ways to create balanced business growth while improving operational capabilities.
- Grows Talent Inclusively and pro-actively develops talent, empowers individuals and manages diverse teams to drive engagement and performance.
- Models our Values Creates a culture that promotes the companys values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.
- Focuses on Customers Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Drives Results Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the worlds leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with more than $500 billion in managed assets as of December 31, 2016. We are ranked #42 on the Fortune 500 list for 2017. In 2017, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the second year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies.
Our goal in everything we do is to offer customers truly differentiated value propositions that allow us to establish clear competitive advantages. We pride ourselves on being a trusted partner to our customers as they navigate lifes twists and turns. Visit us at www.metlife.com to learn more about our brand, history, and values.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.