CEO INTERVIEW: TurboHire - Hire Better Candidates, Faster
Please share with us briefly what you do.
TurboHire is a B2B SaaS platform enabling Recruiters & HR professionals with Better and Faster decisions about Professionals.
What were you doing before this?
I was Head of Learning and Development at the globally ranked Indian School of Business (ISB) for 8 years. It gave me a chance to interact with 900 high caliber students in the post-MBA career hunt, every year and to observe and analyze the hiring process and mull over hiring outcomes by 200 best corporates in the world, every year
Prior, I have been an Entrepreneur with a US company and Senior Sales leader for an IT major with Silicon Valley experience.
Describe your product. How does it work?
TurboHire converts the unstructured candidate CVs of enterprises into LinkedIn-like searchable database for candidate discovery - using deep technologies like NLP and Elastic Search and proprietary big-data datasets on Companies, Capabilities, Academic institutions, and Academic degrees.
This core Augmented Intelligence is packaged as TurboHire platform alongside Automation and Structure to provide Organizations Frictionless and multi-channel sourcing of candidates, Discovery of the best candidate in the pool with Augmented Intelligence, Conducting interviews on the purpose-built video platform, and End to end restructuring of the hiring process outside and inside of an organization with modern collaboration technologies.
What are the key benefits?
The business impact of TurboHire can we quantified as
- The ability of an organization to hire and build teams at the speed of the CEO.
- 60% reduction in Time to Hire, because of efficiencies in Sourcing and Interviewing processes.
- 60% and more reduction in Cost of Hire because of Augmented Intelligence and Automation.
- Possibility of analytics such as "How much compensation hike is being given above current compensation of candidates", "How many Interviews get rescheduled", "From which companies you successfully hire from" and much more.
Who are your closest competitors?
Talent Acquisition / ATS is an old industry. The focus has been the automation of or incremental improvements in the long arduous process of “how” hiring is done. The Augmented Intelligence of TurboHire is about “Why” some candidates get hired by an organization for a role, irrespective of the “how” and in how many steps the hiring process is accomplished.
While Automobile Industry has many reputed players, Tesla has a different solution for the same need for mobility. In this sense, our only competitor is Eighfolds.ai.
Who is your first customer and how did that happen? What were they using before this, and why did they switch?
- Our first customer was a US-based mid-sized staffing firm with a large candidate database and high throughput. It happened because we could demonstrate the philosophy of “Why” some professionals eventually get hired because of the Augmentation of candidate profiles in their database.
- They were using an industry-leading ATS which has an excellent workflow on “how” hiring steps are executed, which are performed by information constrained individuals. They switched because TurboHire could help them unlock value out of their candidate database. Which are now searchable with Augmented Intelligence and not superficial and most often irrelevant keyword matches.
What motivated you to start this business?
♦ Deep understanding of nuances of why some candidates are hired, over 8 years in an unhurried manner
♦ Familiarity with both technology and entrepreneurship
♦ A conviction that figuratively speaking, we will be building a Tesla for Talent Industry.
How did you get funded?
Initial stages were boot-strapped.
We did the angel round and then VC round. Reasons to get funded were –
♦ Great Team, which is highly capable and makes every day count
♦ Product philosophy, with differentiation
♦ Setting up credible marketing and sales systems
♦ Early traction
What has been your most successful form of marketing?
Inbound Performance Marketing on Digital Markets, Google, LinkedIn and Facebook
Describe a typical workday
- Start at 930 am – first to tackle strategic items related to the external world (closing or influencing)
- 11 am to 4 pm – Sales and customer interactions
- 4 pm to 6 pm – team, financial, and company matters (of course, they get jumbled up on the calendar)
Who has been the greatest influence in your business and why?
Advisors – Advisors have shown deep belief in making us succeed
TurboHire team – makes it possible to imagine and build difficult things with an audacious approach
What has been your proudest moment in the history of your business and why?
When we won the first customer. Every time we hire a new person and hiring and doubling our team even during Covid induced downturn
What is your favorite business failure (and what did you learn from it)?
With a large IT firm based out of Mumbai, we were pushed into proving that TurboHire’s Artificial Intelligence will “replicate selections done by humans in a candidate pool”. That made us dig deeper to resolve that we need to do “Human-machine collaboration” as our positioning.
If you could go back in time to speak to your 20-year-old self, what would you tell him/her?
Alone you are nothing, learn to respect and work with people!
What’s one productivity hack you can’t live without?
My diary – I need to write down first thing in the morning, what I will do today across my work, personal and spiritual life.
More about Deepak
First job – Essar Steel. Procurement Engineer for 2 MTPA Steel plant under construction.
Someone you admire – Rafael Nadal, Gandhi
Favorite book - Mahabharat
Favorite Film – Shawshank Redemption
Favorite Music – Classic Rock
Favorite author – Bertrand Russell
Favorite Gadget – paper and pencil, to write creative thoughts
Last holiday – Goa, India
When you are not at work, where can we most likely find you? – On a running trail or Hiking
For more information :