CEO INTERVIEW Su-Ette Pte Ltd
New Success Stories - Asia
CEO Interviews - Exclusive for HR Digital Today with market leading HR Tech pioneers - Su-Ette Pte Ltd
Jian Hong Tan CEO and Co-Founder of Su-Ette Pte Ltd
The quest to strategic HR had been long and arduous. Despite the best intent, HR is a small department and often has to juggle multiple tasks.
And most of them are of mundane nature and extremely time-consuming.
Take the case of HR policies.
Getting the most updated information could be challenging and often the easiest way to find them is to give HR a call.
Imagine a company of 300 people. If 10% were to give a call daily, there is 30 unique calls to entertain and distract you from deep work.
Su-Ette aims to empower HR with an AI Chatbot to take over all mundane HR related communications.
1. Please share with us briefly what you do
Currently, I am helping the HR profession to digitize HR processes through focused efforts to drive AI technology for HR Tech and making HR professionals more strategic and less transactional.
Creating Su-Ette as an enabler to drive automation in the smartest way possible to deliver human capital value to businesses again.
2. What were you doing before this?
I was a HR practitioner for 17 years, helping businesses appreciate the value of HR and delivering results through their human capital.
Seeing that the HR profession needed a boost, I have decided to leave the comforts of a corporate role to set up Su-Ette to bridge the technological gap that HR needs to be more productive and value-adding to their respective businesses.
3. In one sentence, how would you describe what your product does?
Empowering Human Capital Through Tech
4. How did the idea for your business come about?
Having performed my corporate role in HR for more than a decade, I have noticed that technological advancements is leaving the HR focus behind.
Seeing this as the perfect opportunity to leverage on my HR expertise, I had decided to come on-board the entrepreneur journey to serve the HR profession through technological provision.
Learning from a past start-up experience in 2017, I had to focus and pivot my business idea for HR towards a more targeted “pain killer” that is addressing the HR profession for years.
Zooming into very target approach for HR, I had to make the business offering simple, effective and yet giving the stakeholders a “Wow” factor. Hence, Su-Ette was created by HR for HR.
5. How does it work?
Essentially, we will help customize a HR bot for our clients that will help leverage on AI to perform task that are time-consuming, mundane and repeatable in terms of processes.
These enables HR Professionals to free up their time for more value-added functions that the businesses need HR to perform.
6. What are the key benefits that your product brings?
Su-Ette brings about productivity gains through automating rule based knowledge that is available 24/7 to employees within the business.
Conversations will be secured ensuring that only authorized employees get to the secured information.
This essentially frees up the HR workforce’s time to focus on the necessary strategic work for business leaders.
Other than the incredible user engagement, the technology will be your “Always-on” silent worker that helps save time and money for your business.
7. Who are your closest competitors?
Su-Ette closest competitors are companies that provide AI technologies and Smart bots. Su-Ette’s competitive edge lies on our ability to focus and zoom straight into the HR functions and tasks which can be digitized without heavy investment into systems, hence making the technology journey smooth and pain free for our customers.
At the same time, Su-Ette is also able to help our customers leverage on technological grants and funding support for implementation within Singapore (Depending on their eligibility).
8. Who is your first customer and how did that happen?
Our first client that we are developing the technology for is from the Unified-Communication (UC) space.
They were looking at how the technology can be applied to their HR function and they like the way we structure the technology from a HR perspective to address their needs.
9. What were they using before this, and why did they switch?
Before they made the decision on leveraging the technology, a lot of the employee’s questions were directed at their HR partners.
Having a lean HR Team in Asia Pacific, they find that their questions were repetitive and can be found in their handbook, hence, in order to be more efficient in their HR operations as well as providing an enhanced employee experience, helping them to access information on a timely and smart manner, they engaged us to look into ways of digitizing their services to employees.
10. How do you price your product?
In considering the pricing strategy for Su-Ette, we remain focused on serving HR. Our core focus is to bring cutting edge technology at an affordable cost to HR so that they can rededicate their effort and time to where it matters most for the business.
Each pricing strategy depends on how complex we want the bot to operate for us. But we remain committed to help companies adopt the technology with the most cost friendly options.
Importantly, we have collaborative partners that helps companies adopt Su-Ette with government grants to defray the cost of implementation.
11. What’s your business focus for this year?
The focal point for my business this year is to execute my business development plans and to get traction for Su-Ette in terms of adoption of the technology.
Being a start-up, ensuring that we give the best customer experience is core towards our purpose of setting Su-Ette up.
All these build up, can only be achieved with a strong team of talented Family members that we plan to expand on.
12. What is your favourite failure (and what did you learn from it)?
I won’t really classify the experience as a failure, but rather, lessons to allow me to pivot to creating Su-Ette.
While taking the plunge to become an entrepreneur, I have realized that getting into the technological space was something that I had to “un-learn” and “re-learn” from my corporate practices.
Initially, my offering was spread too thinly and the focus was too wide in the scope of automating HR processes and this created a gap in my strategy that I had to re-align to be pinpoint in solve one problem that was most significant to HR practitioners today.
Reflecting back, I was creating a “Candy” to the problem rather than a “Pain Killer” to the problem.
This resulted in a sluggish start to my platform development efforts. This experience had shaped me to be more critically focused on delivering “Pain Killers” to an identified problem rather than solutions that are good to have.
13. What’s one productivity hack you would recommend to everyone?
There’s definitely a way to do things, faster and more efficient. Spend time to do some research before concluding that your approach is the best.
Someone, somehow had done it better, faster than you.
14. Where can people find out more about your product offerings and you online?
Getting to us is Simple, our website is www.su-ette.com. We are also quite active on our social platform on Linkedin (https://www.linkedin.com/company/su-ette) and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SuEtteHR)
More about Jian Hong
- Born: In Singapore, back in 1980.
- Marital status: Married to my lovely wife Karen and my 2 wonderful kids, Kate and Jorge
- School: Last school attended at Singapore University of Social Sciences where I had completed my Master’s Degree.
- First job: A Manpower Officer with the Singapore Ministry
- Favorite book: Influencer, by K. Patterson, J. Grenny, D. Maxfield, R. McMillan and A. Switzler. This book has shaped my professional and personal life in developing myself.
- Favorite Film: It will probably be 3 Idiots, a coming-of-age comedy-drama film directed by Rajkumar Hirani. The story is really meaningful and it helps me reflect on my entrepreneur journey as well.
- Favorite Music: That will definitely be piano or instrumental pieces of the latest hits
- Favorite Gadget: It will probably have to be my Apple iPhone X. Gives me what I need at my fingertips.
- Last holiday: It’s a family glamping trip in Indonesia. Definitely a different experience for the kids getting back to nature.