CEO INTERVIEW GRABJOBS
New Success Stories - Asia
CEO Interviews - exclusive for HR Digital Today
with market leading HR Tech pioneers - GrabJobs
Emmanuel Crouy, CEO & Co- Founder, GrabJobs
Like any other employer, GrabJobs co-founder Emmanuel Crouy – who has a background in recruitment – knows all too well the frustrations that come with opening and reviewing hundreds of CVs over email.
Even more so, Emmanuel has invested in a number of establishments in the food and beverage industry across Southeast Asia and came up with the idea of GrabJobs after encountering staffing difficulties in his restaurants.
“The objective is to make a super simple app that anybody can use and remove all the time wasted opening emails and CVs” says Emmanuel.
“We are not reinventing the wheel, GrabJobs blends the professional element of Linkedin, the efficiency of Grab and the simplicity of Tinder.”
We speak with Emmanuel to learn more about him and GrabJobs.
1. Please share with us briefly what you do.
I’m the co-Founder and CEO of GrabJobs, a Recruitment Tech startup. I’m primarily involved in driving Technology, Marketing and Fundraising, however as a startup CEO I’m also involved in Business Development, Finance and every other function.
2. What were you doing before this?
I was co-Founder and Director of Aster Lion, a Recruitment Firm operating in Singapore and Thailand.
3. In one sentence, how would you describe what your product does?
GrabJobs helps to cut down Recruitment Time by leveraging Web, Mobile and Chat Bot technologies.
4. How did the idea for your business come about?
With the success of Aster Lion, I’ve been personally investing in F&B Businesses in SEA. The major issue that all outlets were facing in all countries was Staffing. At the time there was no cost-effective and dedicated platform to quickly identify F&B staff.
With the rise of on-demand Apps such as Uber, Grab and Lalamove, I realized we could develop an app for Staffing. With my background in Technology and Recruitment, I initially devised an app for on-demand F&B staffing. It quickly evolved into a Job App focused on Non-Executive Jobs across industries as multiple industries are facing staffing inefficiencies at that level.
5. How does it work?
Employers post jobs and can attach a customized Interview Chat Bot to each job.
Job Seekers get alerted of new Jobs via push notifications. As soon as they apply they can respond to the Job Interview via Chat directly on the app.
Employers receive pre-screened applicants sorted by Interview Score and can engage with them directly over chat.
6. What are the key benefits that your product brings?
- Faster turnaround time of applicants profiles
- No more time consuming and repetitive Screening of Applicants, our Interview Chat Bot does the job for you
- Engage applicants faster over Chat than you would over Phone / Email
- Pay per Shortlisted Candidate vs Pay per Job Post
- Most cost effective tech recruitment solution on the market
7. Who are your closest competitors?
Closest competitors are FastJobs (Singapore), JobStreet (Philippines), Helpster (Thailnd) and traditional job boards in Myanmar.
8. Who is your first customer and how did that happen?
Our first paying customer was Foodpanda. They were looking for a platform to do high volume recruitment of Delivery Driver.
9. What were they using before this, and why did they switch?
Existing platforms like JobsDB and JobStreet were not relevant for the demographics they were targeting. Our mobile Job App was ideal to target riders on-the-go.
10. How do you price your product?
Our Product is priced on our cost of acquiring Job Applicants + a small margin on top
11. What’s your business focus for this year?
Continue developing our market reach in our existing 4 SEA markets: SG, PH, TH, MM
12. What’s one productivity tip/app/tool you can't live without?
Because I spend a lot of time traveling, whether it’s on planes or in taxis between meetings, I always have the following:
- laptop battery recharge
- phone battery power bank
- unlimited local data sim cards
This ensure I’m always working: traveling / transport aren’t an excuse for not being able to do work.
I realize I am actually most productive on planes, when there are no distractions and there is nothing else to do than stay on your seat and be 100% focused on a task.
13. Where can people find out more about your product offerings and you online?
You can find more information on our product at register.grabjobs.co
You can find more information on my Linkedin here:
Born – France, near Paris
Marital status - Single
School – Computer Science Bachelors at McGill University, Canada
First job – Kitchen Helper, New York
Favorite book – The Foucault Pendulum by Umberto Eco
Favorite Film – Interstellar by Christopher Nolan
Favorite Music – Jazz and Lo-Fi
Favorite Gadget – Portable JBL speakers that I carry on every trip
Last holiday - Taipei